Monday, February 26, 2007

Horse cake

Here is the infamous horse cake:
It was quite a feat.

My niece Emily told her mom this year that "it would be more special" if she made her a special cake instead of buying one. I know it's because she sees my kids getting fancy cakes every year.... (sorry Jenny!)

So, well I talked her into making this horse cake. I brought all my stuff over, and made the icing, but she made most of the cake. I did the grass, the legs and ears and some of the face and the writing. She did the rest (including icing the whole thing, the rest of the face, the bridal, the mane and tail, and the flowers).

I think it came out SO CUTE! It was almost a disaster though. The original cake we were trying to make had the head on top of the cake. Since she used a supermoist cake and it was a tad under done, the weight of the head ended up caving in the body and the whole thing collapsed. A few tears later, after nearly throwing the thing away, I figured out we could lay the head in front, and patch the front of the body back together with icing. The result I think ended up better than the one we were modeling it from :)

No comments: